Cleaning Laminate Floors
The term laminate flooring describes a floor that is made up of layers. Those layers might be made of hardwood, softwood or vinyl. The most popular type of laminate uses a photo of wood or natural stone, which is sandwiched between the protective layer you walk on & the base layer.
What Mop is Best for Laminate Floors?
Excess water can easily damage laminate floors; water can soak between the planks & make the layers described above separate. Any mop or cloth used on laminate flooring should be slightly damp & definitely not sopping wet.
Vileda Ultraspeed Mini Flat Mops are perfect for laminate floors as the inbuilt wringer removes all excess water.
A traditional socket mop like this will leave too much water on the floor:
The ultraspeed mini mop head is made of microfibre & quickly absorbs dirt & grease from any floor. Mopping with a flat mop is also much quicker than using a traditional mop as you cover a much larger area with every pass. This video shows how much quicker flat mopping is and demonstrates how much drier the floor is left.
What Cleaning Chemical Should I Use on my Laminate Floor?
The best chemical for laminate floors is C2. It has a neutral ph and a self-levelling formulation; Which means that it dries quickly and evenly, without leaving patches, smears or mops marks. C2 comes in a self-dosing bottle. Leaving the cap shut, tip the bottle upside down & 1 dose will fill the container’s reservoir. Flip the top & pour the chemical into the bucket. Use two doses in the bucket we recommend above.
How to Mop a Laminate Floor
- Before getting the floor wet, always thoroughly vacuum or sweep the floor.
- Add 2 doses of C2 to a 5L mop bucket & add 5L of water.
- Start in the corner of the room, furthest from the door.
- Dip your mop into the mop bucket, wring the excess water out of the mop by pushing the mophead down into the wringer. Begin mopping the floor in a figure of 8 motion (as shown in the video).
- The floor will dry really quickly but try not to walk on it until it is bone dry.
- Wash the mop in your washing machine but don’t use fabric softener as this can affect the performance and effectiveness of microfibre mop heads.