Safety flooring is designed to redce the chance of people slipping on your floor, particularly when it is wet. The most well known manufacturer of safety flooring is Altro.
The way to tell if you have this type of floor is run your nails over it. If it feels like sandpaper then it is safety floor. If the floor is smooth & silky then it is probably vinyl or rubber. It is the gritty, rough texture of the floor that grabs the soles of your shoes when walking. Unfortunately this texture also grips & holds onto dirt which can be very difficult to remove.
After many years of being called out to advise on this type of floor we have come up with solutions that we know work.
If you have a larger of safety flooring, but you don’t have the budget or the room for a cleaning machine then choose our large flat mopping kit designed for safety floors. Standard mops just don’t clean this type of floor, as when the strings are dragged over the floors the grit within the floor simply drags the dirt back off the mop.
Ok so our kit comprises of:
- A colour coded flat mopping kit. You will receive 1 x 25L bucket c/w wringer, flat mop break frame, microfibre mop head & handle exactly as shown in this picture. The bucket sits in a frame on 3″ rubberised castors so its incredibly easy to move across large areas of floor.
- A spikey/scratchy mop head to fit the above mop which agitates & loosens the dirt from the floor getting it into a slurry. This mop will not pick up any dirt but it is better at scrubbing the dirt out of altro flooring than any other pad or brush that we have tried.
- 1 x 5L of Ubik 2000 fitted with a drum pump. We have found this to be the best chemical for cleaning safety flooring.
- 4 x Spare microfibre mop heads so that youhave spare heads & some to dry the floor
Steps to gettting your safety floor clean:
- Put 4 pumps of Ubik 2000 into your bucket
- Fit the scratchy grey pad to the mop frame
- Immerse the mop into the bucket & liberally apply the mopping solution to the floor. Move the mop across the floor in a figure of eight, keep the floor wet & you will see the water getting darker & filthier as the ingrained dirt begins to seep from the floor.
- Swap the grey mop head for one of the white ones & pick up as much of the dirty water as possible using your clean mop. Again remember to use a figure of eight motion rather than scrubbing back & forth. This keeps all dirt on the leading edge of the mop & gets more off the floor.
- For the perfect finish swap the mop head again & use this one dry to remove any remaining dirty water from the floor.
- Finally wash all the mops in your washing machine. Just remember to leave out fabric conditioner as this reduced the effectivenesss of the microfibre. These mops can literally last years before they need replacing.